Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Great Van Ride

"The Great Van Ride"....
It wasn't actually so great....
The only thing great about it was the hours it took me to get home.
Anyways, here's the story of "The Great Van Ride".

It was Monday, Jan. 7th, and I was half-happy half-bummed that it the holidays are over and that school was calling me back once more. As I hopped into the van I realized that I had a new van driver. What this usually means is this: new driver, new route. And as I presumed, he did take a new route which got us to school almost the same time like my previous van driver but he was only a few minutes late.
And so I spend eight hours in school, conversing with my teachers and friends on how their holiday went and told them about mine (how delicious the food was at a party and what a big pile of games DG gave me). After school, it was finally time to go home.
I hope into the van and reach for my MP3 as I always do when going back home (and coming to school) and plug it into my ear. I realize that the battery has run out, so with nothing interesting to do - in this case, listen to - I lazily went to sleep and waited for my turn to be sent home.
Now before we move on, let me just tell you some facts you'll be needing to understand this story of mine: the streets here in Bangkok have names (like any other country), numbers, and are referred to as sois in plural, soi in singular. My school is located in Ladphrao road Soi 112. Another thing is that I finish school at 3:00 and get home at around 4:00.
Anyways, continuing on. So I dozed off to sleep, occasionally peeking around to see where we were. When I finally rested fully and felt that my energy bar was completely filled (talking like i'm some kind of character in a game) i opened my eyes and assumed that I was finally on my way home.
I was correct, it was my turn to go home.
However, I rubbed my eyes and looked to my right and do you know what I found?

THE WORDS "LADPHRAO SOI 112" STARING RIGHT BACK AT FRIGGIN' FACE!

I couldn't believe it.
I could NOT conceive it.
How the HECK did I get back here?
I realized that the driver didn't know - or simply ignored - the shortcuts my previous driver took.
I sighed in anger, irritation, and disbelief.
It therefore took another hour to get me home, so I got home at 5.

The next day i dreaded the ride back home once more but luckily, the school found out how late we got sent home so they sent me and some other kids to another driver and I got home at an amazing record of 3:45.

Whew, thank God for ex-underground racer van drivers and shortcuts!

0 comments: